Friday, February 22, 2013

What I am Listening To: Seth Kauffman - Research

I tend to download every bit of music available for free when I see it. As with most audiophiles, I got much of it thanks to the MP3 revolution and the massive file sharing movement. These days, there is so much free music that I don't put the effort into "sharing" music anymore. Google Play is the store you get all Google purchases through, including music. I noticed that every week Google had free music to download. In my random downloading of every bit of free music, I grabbed this album. Then it got buried in my digital collection. I miss the days of an album I got sitting around staring at me, calling me to play it. Today I have to stumble upon it when my music collection is playing on random. As I was searching through my music I rediscovered this album by Seth Kauffman from 2008, called Research. At first listen, this sounds like a garage band recording done on the fly. But on close listen, you hear cool arrangements of unexpected tones filtered through super lo-fi processing. This adds a pleasant nostalgic grit to the piece that puts you in the musicians head and takes you on a ride through uncharted mucky funk, bitey bossanova, and rusty reggae. I really enjoy this album and the vibe it creates. In a time when everything is being produced to perfection, producing to imperfection is becoming hip and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment